Saturday 6 December 2008

Mumbai attacks; the Media attack


Most people in India think that it's not the same when you don't live in the country. It doesn't really matter how close you are to the country or how closely you keep in touch. All that matters is that "it's not the same."

I disagree.

My reasons....Mumbai
has been attacked. I feel exactly the same as every other Indian does at this point. Not just that. I have been watching NDTV/CNN IBN/Aaj Tak online, instead of the telly. I know for a fact that had I been in India at this point, from my home cities (Delhi and Cal) my connection with Mumbai would be the telly. So there isn't much difference for someone who wants to stay connected.

I am trying to form an opinion of what the next step should be. I have landed myself in some very nasty and some extremely encouraging arguments with associates and good friends about what could potentially happen. Facebook
groups, blogs, marches, petitions, signature campaigns, and so many more efforts. We've really stood up together. Or I'd like to believe we have. At least that's what meets the eye.

Yesterday, I received a mail from a friend that was someone else's
write up condemning the Indian media (largely NDTV) for the way they covered 26/11. The author of the article felt that we have faced other attacks before 26/11. Then why was "enough is enough" not said then? Why did we keep saying that the Mumbaikar/Indian/AAM ADMI is very resilient and no matter what happens, life always comes back to normal the next day? Why did it happen ONLY NOW? Why did these channels celebrate the Mumbaikar's spirit in 2006 when everything fell back into normalcy soon after the blasts? Why are they contradicting themselves now? Why are they abusing the 'spirit' of the Mumbaikar now by saying "enough is enough?"

According to her, it was the first time that the rich Indian's comfort zone was attacked---namely Taj/Oberoi. The rich, non resilient Indian whose icon of India is the Taj, is facing the pain for the very first time. That is why, this time we've heard "enough is enough."

I thought long and hard about what she was saying. Every time I read it, something or the other didn't feel right. I kept feeling, that what she is saying can't be true. I spoke to other friends. And i beg to differ.

We've made mistakes in the past. We have not acted previously, but that does not mean we continue to be 'resilient' and not act. Sometimes, you need to take an exam thrice before you actually pass it. Maybe this time we've made up our minds not to carry on with our daily business and stop, think and act. Perhaps that is why I see myself and others my age itching to bring change.

I agree with her in part when she says that the media has an obsession with the five star elite. I did not myself understand the point of getting Simi Garewal/Sharmila Tagore on screen for their opinions. But every talk show I watched, the non- star Indian was right there. I may be less informed than the author of the article about the way the media functions. But I understand that at the end of the day, NDTV's got a business to run . And the way I look at it, although they have a wrong approach, (class divide too apparent), what they are doing is not complete bull shit. Am I being too naive about this? I don't think so.

And I don't think that getting rid of our politicians is the answer to the problem. Neither is voting because who do you choose if the choice is for the best amongst the worst? This is probably not the time to blame our idiot leaders. But this one situation is addressing so many issues together that it is imminent for us to talk about our leaders.

A good friend of mine said to me...if the country goes to war with Pakistan now, the media will be responsible for it. The context of our conversation was the consensus that the media is trying to reach in all their coverage about what the next step should be. I am of the opinion that in a country the size of ours, there can never be a consensus. I do not believe that we should go to war with Pakistan. And everyone who has been showcased by the media expressing their (violent) sentiment is not actually expressing the views of the channel itself. It is the channel's job to be everyone's mouthpiece, specially of those who are non-star countrymen (i.e. me). I cannot believe that they have repeated the violent sentiment with every opinion expressed. It's just not possible.

I sound like a believer in what the media is doing at this point. In part, yes. But I disagree with them to a large extent too.

I do not for one believe that war with Pakistan is an idea fuelled by the Indian media. It's the sentiment of certain people. I personally do not believe that we should go to war with Pakistan. I do not agree with the media when they act insensitively with people who have seen/experienced the attack from close counters. I understand that every channel has a business to run and every show has a time limit. And it is probably not possible to let everyone say everything in that duration. Our politicians have always used catastrophes to fling mud on each other and use it to their benefit to win our votes. I believe that this time, it should not happen.

What I would really like to see the Indian media do is to work together and pressurise the Western media too (specially US/UK) to make this significant in their news. I live in the UK and follow the BBC. They covered it until the attacks lasted. After that, all they cared about was if any Brits were caught in the attacks!!! If the western media acted swiftly, it could pressurise Pakistan to really launch themselves on LeT.

I have my doubts about Rice having any effect on the Pak govt.
I am still a believer and will always be..or atleast I hope so.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Once a mishap occurs, the politicians start the blame-game machinery rolling. A blames B, B blames C and so on and so forth. Why? Just because the nation lacks memory. But are we any different from the politicians? What have we done except for blaming the politicians and media after each and every blast and then once again going back to our mundane routine?